Saturday 23 January 2016

Transparent

Transparent. Ahhh where to start? The best times in my life are the days when I binge watch this programme all in one go. Only moving out of my vegetive state to get food. And the worst times, well, they are the other 364 days of the year when I am waiting for the producers to make a new series.

So Transparent, which tells the story of 70 year old Maura Pfefferman, a transgender woman, as she comes out to her family and begins to create herself a new life,  was especially relevant last year as the media finally seemed to start to recognise the trans community, and more people began to question gender in general. But that's not just why I love this programme. Yes it's modern, and relevant, and long-awaited. But most of all, it's just bloody funny. It's an amazing piece of television that will make you feel literally all of the feels. Honestly, watching this show I've laughed, I've cried... I've wondered how hard it would be for me to convert to Judaism. Despite Maura's children all being essential narcissistic and selfish you can't help become emotionally invested in each one of them. And that is possibly because they seem so real; you can see aspects of yourself in all of them thanks to writer Jil Solway's effortless portrayal of a real, modern, dysfunctional family. 

Photograph- Instagram

One of the real stars of the show's second series is Hari Nef, a rising star in the world of acting and modelling who just so happens to also be a proud member of the trans community. As well as being the first transgender woman to be signed globally by IMG and walking for Gucci, Nef has been raising transgender issues, chatting with Lena Dunham in a “Women of the Hour” podcast and visiting the White House as part of a “Champions of Change” tribute to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender artists.  So watch out world, cause this one's destined for big things. And I can't wait to see more of her



0 comments:

Post a Comment